Thursday, April 07, 2005

Success

I was reading an article last night about the habits of successful writers. They all do it differently, but you know what they all have in common? They write! Some use pencils, some still use typewriters (Ray Bradbury doesn't even own a computer), some write all day long, some only write a few hours a day...but they all write. No excuses.

I think the biggest shortcoming we face as writers and potential best-selling novelists is fighting laziness. Most of us have a thousand things on our plate, so when it comes time to write, we find something else pressing for that time. Don't let it win! Lock yourself in your office, closet, bathroom, whatever and write!

My biggest distraction at home used to be the television. I would write on my laptop in the living room, and every time I looked up I'd see that thing looking right at me. After a few minutes, I'd wonder what was on and turn it on. Then, before I knew it, the time I'd set aside for writing was gone and I hadn't accomplished much! Recently I was blessed to be able to add a small room on our house for an office. I have no phone (or phone jack) anywhere in it, no television, and not much on my desk. I framed the cover of my first book and have it hanging on my wall for inspiration. Now anytime I feel the urge to do something else, I force myself to stay in that room and write.

You can succeed as a writer! Even if you have to get up before everyone else or go to bed after them, find those precious minutes each day to write what's inside you. Don't rob the rest of the world from your story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home