Thursday, November 08, 2007

How Christian is Christian Fiction?

This past month was a big reading month for me. I'm in a limbo state about which novel to work on next, so I decided to catch up on some books that looked interesting. They were all in my local Christian bookstore, but I won't name titles. One was by a new author, one was another's second novel, one was another's third, and finally we have the latest from a rather prolific sort. The one amazing thing they have in common is the complete lack of a clear Christian theme.

When preparing a book proposal for my agent, he asks "What is the Christian message you are trying to present?" I've struggled with this a few times because I would have an amazing idea for a book, but no way to really make it Christian. That idea either becomes a short story or gets shelved until later. While I'm not saying there's no room for anything outside of Scripture and verse, I'm just saying I think Christian fiction should have a focus. It should either illustrate a Biblical principle, or promote Christ in some way.

When I finished these novels I was reading, I was struck with how impossible it would be to clearly state any Christian message from them. I came up with the following:

1. When trapped by a serial killer in a building, hide and then kill him as soon as possible. Pray for God to give you the chance to kill him if necessary.

2. A person who goes to church every few Sundays is a Christian. It is also perfectly permissible for them to hate someone who does them wrong and kill them if need arises.

3. If a person won't stop chasing you and the opportunity presents itself, blow them up. Afterward, thank God for helping you fool them into the trap.

I'm honestly not exaggerating here. I remember when I first read This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. I put it down with a clear idea of what he was saying: there is a spiritual warfare going on that we don't see but is real. Now it seems we have to desperately search through the rubble of a story just to force a Christian idea from it. Like one of those emo bands whose lyrics are so poetic as to be incomprehensible, Christian fiction seems to be turning a trend to hide the message so deeply that you'll never find it. And while I'm all for realism in storytelling, who put the green light on profanity in Christian novels? Maybe it's only a couple of words here and there, but once you start something like that where do you draw the line to stop it?

Truthfully, this isn't happening with every story from every author. There are still clear examples of a Christian message being illustrated out there from folks like James Scott Bell, Kathryn Cushman, Alton Gansky, Angela Hunt and Eric Wilson, to name a few. And I understand that publishing is still a business and as such publishers must make money. And I'm very happy for those "crossover" authors who write for Christian publishers and are picked up by mainstream media as "the next great thriller writer". As a matter of fact, I have two good ideas for secular novels brewing right now! But as Christian authors with Christian novels in Christian bookstores, shouldn't we be sharing Christ in there somewhere? I know one Christian author who could tell his publisher tomorrow "I'm going to rewrite the entire phonebook of Sydney, Australia...in elvish!" and the publisher would scream "Brilliant!" Never mind the message...just get something out there in print!

Imagine a pastor getting up to preach his sermon, but leaving his Bible at home. Instead, he tells an amazing story about a family trapped by mountain lions in the wilderness who have to cripple their dog and leave it behind so they can escape. Then, with a solemn face, he says, "Amen" and dismisses everyone. They might have been enthralled at the story, but if it does nothing to give them hope for their lives or point them to Christ, what makes it any different from a story told by two guys at a bar?

Lift Christ up with the story He gave you. You don't have to cram the Gospel down someone's throat, but at the same time you don't have to bury it so as not to offend anyone. And I know it's not realistic to say a Christian would just throw up their hands and pray for the killer as he comes at them with a knife, but for every ten scenes of despair in a story how about giving us at least one or two of hope? Show us a character living a Christian walk in there somewhere. I know a number of good Christian folks, so I know they're out there around us all. It's not unrealistic to say one could be in your story.

Tell me a great story...and point me to the Storyteller along the way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Cushman said...

Wow Brian, great post! I've been listening to the other side of this argument for so long now, I've started wondering if I'm doing this all wrong.
Thanks for the encouragement!!!
katie

3:15 PM  
Blogger C.J. Darlington said...

Echoing, Katie, Brian. I wish more people would speak up about this subject. There's definitely a place for all types of authors, but I think new writers especially are ashamed of having Christ in their novels.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanted to say I enjoyed your books, but I think they have to much action to really get the point across; instead of focusing on the message of faith, the reader finds himself always wondering what will come next. I got so fed up with your book, Portal, at one point I almost threw it out. I think you need to add some more relief to your writing and not just keep plowing through the action.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Rick L. Phillips said...

I agree with you on this. A Christian story should have a way to point you to Christ or make a Christian principle more clear. Otherwise you have written a secular story. As long as that story is fairly clean that is ok too but don't try and say it is a Christian novel.
I haven't read any that do the things you say but I have heard they are out there and I don't want to read them.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home